Friday, July 3, 2009

Fire for the Deed

Columbus, in a letter to the Spanish hierarchy, wrote:
'Our Lord unlocked my mind, sent me upon the sea, and gave me fire for the deed. Those who heard of my emprise called it foolish, mocked me, and laughed. But who can doubt but that the Holy Ghost inspired me?'
(quoted in Mark E. Petersen, The Great Prologue, Deseret Book Co., 1975, p.26).

This reminded me of Nephi’s example:
1 Nephi 3:5 - 7
“And now, behold thy brothers murmur, saying it is a hard thing which I have required of them; but behold I have not required it of them, but it is a commandment of the Lord.
“Therefore go, my son, and thou shalt be favored of the Lord, because thou hast not murmured.
“And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
-----------------------------------------
When we have confidence in God, we have that fire which drives us to accomplish His will, even against opposition – and that is how we build up the kingdom, and ourselves.

1 comment:

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx