Thursday, October 7, 2010

Book Review - Walking Through Illusion

A while ago I was contacted by Betsy Otter Thompson who has written a book entitled: 'Walking Through Illusion', and asked if I would do a book review for her. So here it is:


'Walking Through Illusion features a series of short stories about biblical people who either knew Jesus or knew of him, and were influenced by him in one way or another....The author believes that we don't take our beliefs with us when we leave here; we take the love we had from having them.'


There were some things that I loved about the book, for example, at the end of each chapter there are worksheet sections and questions to ponder, because if you don't apply something in your life then it never really changes you.

I also found some of the quotes in there meaningful, for example, "If you want to become a teacher, you must live the lessons you preach". There were many many others in there that I thought were powerful also.

The way the book is written is by Betsy asking a question to Jesus and recording His reply to her question. For example:
Betsy: "Did you go through a time of wanting approval, Jesus?"
Jesus: "Yes, but seeking approval attracted people seeking mine. To get approval, I had to give approval; especially to myself:"

Reading the conversations that the author described that she had with Jesus did make me feel uncomfortable at times. There were some replies to the questions asked where it described a Jesus who is unfamiliar to me, and a less perfect one than the One I know, and is contrary to the Bible's teachings on a particular subject. I think the beauty of the Savior is that we can all have a personal relationship with Him, and I don't want to devalue anyone's with Him as I would not wish them to do so with mine, but those conversations didn't bring me any closer to Him, or enlighten me any further, and made me feel 'on edge' at times. I do love the concept for the book though, just not all of the content, and will be quoting from it on here as there are some valuable messages included.

I had emailed Betsy after I read it with how I felt about it, and to see if she still wanted me to post a review on it, as it wouldn't be a glowing one, and I got such a beautiful and gracious email back from her, full of love, when she could've been defensive. She seems like a wonderful woman who really is seeking to bring others to Christ. If this book is something you may be interested in reading, definitely check it out. For more information click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope you have a brilliant day!!

Welcome! Feel free to share anything on here, but if sharing please link back to the blog post & 'Spiritually Speaking Printable' images are free for personal use, with no commercial purposes, as they are COPYRIGHTED and may NOT be altered without my written permission. xx